What’s the best way to see crocodiles in Port Douglas? There are wild crocodiles in Port Douglas, and there are a number of ways to see them on your Port Douglas holiday or Vacation. We give you the best way to see (or swim with) crocodiles from Port Douglas. Saltwater crocodiles and freshwater crocodiles can be seen, wild or in captivity, you can also see crocodile feeding, crocodile shows, a crocodile farm, or enjoy a leisurely crocodile spotting cruise.
Best Ways To See Crocodiles in The Wild in Port Douglas
If you’re lucky and the tide is right, you may be able to spot a wild crocodile or two from the new Mowbray River crocodile viewing platform (with car park) just to the south of Port Douglas, on the highway. This would be a good way to see crocodiles for free. If you don’t have your own vehicle, there is a shuttle service with pick-up from your hotel. You can book that here.
Although it’s rare, you can sometimes see wild crocodiles swimming in The Inlet, from The Sugar Wharf or Combined Club, but it is rare. There are also crocodiles living in lakes on some of the golf courses in Port Douglas. Choo Choo’s restaurant has a great view of the water and Sheraton golf course, you could see one here.
Crocodiles are very, very rarely sighted swimming off 4 Mile Beach. They’ve even been sighted out on the reef, once that I know of.
If you’d like to take a crocodile-spotting cruise from Port Douglas, your best options are these, be sure to book in advance as these boats do get fully booked. You’ll enjoy seeing other wildlife (with luck) on these cruises too. Crocodile sightings are almost guaranteed.
- Book a crocodile spotting cruise on Lady Douglas from Port Douglas Marina. This cruise is about 1.5 hours total and drinks and snacks are included. This lovely boat runs several times per day with sunset cruises being in very high demand. Book your spot here.
- Book a crocodile spotting cruise on The Daintree River, you will need your own transport to drive to Daintree Village, about 50Km from Port Douglas. Book your Daintree River Cruise Here.
- Another option, if you don’t have a car, is to book a tour that combines The Daintree Rainforest and a crocodile cruise. You get to explore the rainforest at the beautiful Mossman Gorge, and spot crocs on the same tour. This easy half day tour will pick you up from your Port Douglas hotel on request. Take a look, and book, right here.
Best Crocodile Attractions and Shows Port Douglas
Again, there are a few options for crocodile and wildlife shows and feeding, even swimming, in Port Douglas. Choose from the following croc options:
- Visit The Wildlife Habitat, in Port Douglas, to see Australian wildlife, including crocodiles. You can hand feed the cute animals here, this is great for kids and this attraction really is worth visiting. Book admission to The Habitat here.
- Make your day at The Wildlife Habitat even better, by booking Breakfast With The Birds, this is a great way to start your day! The price includes your admission to the park, and of course, you get to see the crocodiles!
- If you’re feeling brave, you can swim with the crocs at The Port Douglas Wildlife Habitat. Places are very limited, so book this now, here.
- Visit Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures, south of Port Douglas. near Palm Cove and Cairns. This is a big day out and visitors can see crocodile shows, take a crocodile cruise, plus other wildlife experiences. Hartley’s has hundreds of crocodiles and some are enormous. We last visited in September 2022 and had a really fun day out, we added the experience below to our day.
- Make your day at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures even better by booking “Breakfast With The Koalas“. You get an early start to your day at the park, (making parking much easier!) we were able to see (and touch) koalas without the crowds while a large croc cruised by. The price includes crocodile shows, your cruise with jumping croc feeding, and full-day admission. With tickets still being valid for the next 2 days should you wish to return. This offer may not always be available, staff will likely tell you about this on arrival. The snake show is really good, as is the croc show.
More Useful Port Douglas Information and Links:
- Find out where to eat in Port Douglas, food options and restaurants.
- Looking for other tours and trips to book in Port Douglas (discounted)? Go here.
- Find out which Port Douglas reef trip is best for you in this post.
- Need to book a Port Douglas hotel, backpackers, motel, or apartment? See this post.
- Shop for reef-safe sunscreen or other vacation necessities on Amazon.
Thanks for visiting our site and we hope we were able to help you find the best crocodile viewing experience in Port Douglas. As a long-time Port Douglas local, I love sharing our local wildlife with visitors to our part of the world. Enjoy your Port Douglas holiday and maybe I’ll see you out on the reef.