November is a good time to visit Port Douglas, November will be hot, the wet season could be beginning, stinger season will have started and the swimming enclosure will be in the water at 4 Mile Beach. November is a good time to visit The Great Barrier Reef and Daintree rainforest. Port Douglas will be relatively quiet in November and prices could be good. There are more details on Port Douglas weather and conditions in this post. If you’re looking for a Port Douglas hotel or apartment, this interactive map shows all of your options from multiple providers, at once.
Port Douglas in November, Weather
It’s pretty warm in Port Douglas in November. Expect temperatures around 32-25 C (77-89F) with the possibility of electric storms in the afternoon. Not much rain usually falls in November though, we need December and January to arrive for a good soaking. The grass will likely be brow around Port Douglas at this time of year, although we don’t usually see bushfires in this part of Australia. November is the official start of the wet season and is the last month of spring. November is a great time to visit Port Douglas, but it will be hot, and you will likely be visiting in early stinger season. A tropical cyclone or storm is unlikely in November in Port Douglas.
Is November Stinger Season in Port Douglas?
The stinger nets should be in the water at 4 Mile beach in November. There may not be any deadly jellyfish in Port Douglas waters, but the nets should be in action near the lifeguard station at Four Mile Beach. They’re there to protect swimmers, always follow the lifeguards’ instructions.
Can You Visit The Great Barrier Reef From Port Douglas in November?
Yes, you can visit the Great Barrier Reef year-round from Port Douglas, other than when weather conditions are particularly bad. November is a good time to visit the reef, your reef boat should provide you with a stinger suit. You may need a wetsuit, these are normally also provided, but by November the water is warming up. You can also visit Low Isles in November.
Port Douglas in November, Where To Stay?
Most Port Douglas hotels are likely to have availability in November as this time is outside normal school holidays. However, Port Douglas does get busy, so book well in advance if you can. Our top recommendations for hotels in Port Douglas are the following.
- Sheraton Grand Mirage beautiful resort hotel almost on Four Mile Beach with an incredible pool.
- Pullman Sea Temple Resort . Another lovely resort hotel with vast pool and swim-out apartments. This one is a little further away from Macrossan Street, there are local shuttles to the restaurants and Crystalbrook Marina, or many tours will pick you up from your hotel.
- Retro Port Douglas Apartments. Family-sized apartments, but with a sofa bed. In town and near the beach, very good reviews, great location.
Things To Do in Port Douglas in November
All of the normal Port Douglas activities should be running in November, including the following trips, tours and things to do. Our links will take you to an excellent booking site to check prices and availability. Book as far in advance as you can.
- Visit the outer reef for snorkelling or scuba diving, boat based (Silversonic) or pontoon-based (Quicksilver).
- Snorkel at Low Isles half day with sunset return sail on a beautiful catamaran. Glass Bottom Boat available and snorkel guides, this one is adults only.
- Visit the Sunday Markets in Port Douglas, go early, it will be warm. This is a great place to buy gifts and souvenirs with Christmas coming1
- Book the shuttle to Mossman Gorge (return) to explore the rainforest boardwalks and crystal clear waters, if you have a vehicle it’s an easy drive to this sacred Aboriginal site, a part of the Daintree Rainforest.
- See the croc feeding and shows at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures (with pick up from Port Douglas). You can also book breakfast with the koalas here, this is a good option as you have access to the park before the crowds. We last did this in October 2022 and had a great day.
- Under 3 hours high-speed boat Low Isles snorkel trip on Reef Sprinter. This trip does not allow you access to the beach or island, but these little speedboats are fun, if you’re physically able, there are some restrictions.
- Fishing trips and charters including game fishing from The Superyacht Marina. November is high season for marlin fishing from Port Douglas.
- Enjoy a seafood lunch cruise on the Shaolin Chinese junk.
- Take a sunset sail on a Chinese junk or a sailing boat.
- Take a crocodile spotting river cruise from Port Douglas Marina on Lady Douglas, or from Daintree Village on the Daintree River aboard Solar Whisper
- Swim with a crocodile! The rest of the family can pet the kangaroos or enjoy Breakfast With The Birds while you take a dip with a saltie.
- Bungy Jumping and Giant Swing Near Port Douglas, book here.
- Learn to scuba dive in the huge tank at Quicksilver Dive Port Douglas and take your first PADI dive on the Great Barrier Reef!
- Barramundi fishing locally. Hook-a-Barra also offers gourmet barra tasting on-site. Reserve this experience now!
- Visit the Wildlife Habitat for “Breakfast With The Birds”, swimming with crocodiles, or just to hand feed kangaroos and pet a koala.
- Book a family or couple photoshoot with Port Douglas as your beautiful backdrop. Special deals are available here currently!
- SUP, kayaking and kitesurfing on Four Mile Beach
- River Drift Snorkelling.
- Hot Air Ballooning Nearby
- Skydiving Nearby (In Cairns!)
- Dining at restaurants and hotels, or book a half-day food trail.
- Take a day trip to the Daintree Rainforest (Special deals available on this tour here)
- Visit Mossman Gorge and try Dream Time Tours with the Kuku Yalanji
- Swim at the beach inside the swimming net.
- Swim in numerous freshwater swimming holes nearby.
- Swim under a waterfall at Milaa Milaa or Hartley’s Creek Falls
- Take a trip to the Tablelands for wineries, or a chocolate tour, dairies, and various places of interest
- Walk The Bump Track or Flagstaff Hill Walking Trail
- Take a day trip to Cairns, The Northern Beaches, DaintreeVillage or Kuranda (includes cable car ride and scenic train plus pickup from Port Douglas)
Port Douglas in November, Whales
Humpback whales are seen in the ocean off Port Douglas in winter, it is very unlikely that you will see whales off Port Douglas in November. The whales are normally in the Coral Sea off Port Douglas between July and September.
Port Douglas in November, Special Events
There are no special events that we know of in Port Douglas in November 2023
More Port Douglas information you may need for your November trip to Port Douglas:
- Best reef trips from Port Douglas for November
- Where to eat in Port Douglas in November
- Where to stay in Port Douglas in November
- Best crocodile attractions in or near Port Douglas in November
Thanks for your interest in visiting Port Douglas next November and we hope you enjoy your trip. We are a family run local Australian website, we live in Port Douglas and work on the Great Barrier Reef, so you’ll find all the best Port Douglas information, for any time of year or any activity, on our site. Do us a favour, visit our Port Douglas Pinterest board and pin some stuff. Thanks.
If you'd like to hire a car during your stay, use this car rental comparison tool to find the best deal!
Please check out our Pinterest account for loads of food and recipes from around the world!